Thursday, August 2, 2012

In January of 2010, my family made it last move, this time to Illinois. Ahhh, the Midwest. The home of some of the biggest whitetail buck in the entire world. Settling in was harder than NJ had been but when hunting season came around that all went of a long hold. I was twelve at this point, old enough to shoot a rifle in most states.  One of our neighbors invited us to their property in Kentucky for the opening youth gun hunt. I was excited to hunting with my brand new Savage .243 for the first time.
 It was a six hour drive through the heart of Illinois. When we got to the property it was hot. Too hot.
I thought that I might not get a chance to hunt. We settled in at a bunk house down the road and waited until morning. We woke to a brilliant starlight and set off on out separate ways, me and my dad were set up in a blind overlooking a small field.
 For that entire morning we didn't see one deer. There was some work to be done around the property that afternoon. When the work was over me and my dad moved to a second blind a ways away set in the woods. It didn't take long though for a row of turkeys to come gobbling along the trail. They spooked off for some reason or another. That reason was a small doe walking in on the trail. I froze, my heart speeding up the same way it did that one night in NJ. I took aim and fired. She dropped immediately. I felt relived and very excited on getting my first deer kill.
 Later that day I realized that I had made an almost perfect shot, I had hit both lungs and the heart.

 That opening day in Kentucky was a very memorable one. Unfortunately, I do not have any photos of me and the doe, so your going to have to use you imagination on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment