Monday, August 13, 2012

  Hey everyone, I am sorry I could not get back to you all sooner. I was up at our secret lease in Wisconsin putting up tree stands, finding pinch points, setting trail cameras and cutting shooting lanes. The photos above are of me on the lease and with the buck that I shot with my .243 last November. This year has been the busiest hunting year yet, so I have been making sure that everything is perfect for our hunting land up north, practicing my bow, and also being mentally prepared.
 Imagine the buck of a life time, trudging in on a cold, frosty November morning, the leaves crackling and the distant scurry of a squirrel. He turns broadside and stops, vapor shooting from its nostrils as it smells for a hot doe. But then as you begin the pull back, your rattling antlers fall of your seat and land on the cold metal of your tree stand. The clank echoes through the woods and sends the buck darting away with the bright, white swish of his tail. I like to think about it all going wrong, rattling antlers falling, a missed shot, or the faint whiff of car exhaust still lingering from the ride in. All of these variables can ruin all that you worked so hard to make come together.


  So, my father and I traveled to our lease in central Wisconsin and hiked miles to find the best points to set our tree stands. The buck pictured above was shot from a tree that we decided was going to stay a permanent stand spot. The second stand was put up next to a swamp and at the intersection of several deer trails. This spot is going to be the Big Buck Zone. When the hunting pressure starts to pick up, the deer are going to go to the swamp for sanctuary. Most of the deer will be does and where there are does, there will be mature bucks looking for them.
  We also set two trail cameras, both at the intersection of several major deer trails. Within days of leaving Wisconsin, I eagerly wanted to rush back up and look at the photos taken thus far.  I am anxious to see if this little buck we caught on trailcam last year has grown much.  Lord help me if he is.

  With opening day just weeks away I am extremely eager and excited to get after those big whitetails.

No comments:

Post a Comment