Thursday, August 2, 2012

After getting my license the matter came to down to find a place to hunt. Our neighborhood was surrounded by woods, that seemed good enough. My father convinced the neighbors into allowing us to hunt near the houses. So when hunting season came around we would cross the road into the woods and into our tree stand. The first few hunts, we saw little activity, a few deer here and there, none in bow range. My father claims to have seen a large buck in the distance, but it is still a controversy.
 Then came a night to remember. We went out as usual, and stood in the stand. For hours nothing occurred. Then just before the end of shooting light, a large mature doe walks around our stand and stops broadside at 15 yards. Perfect! I slowly pulled back, my heart was painfully pounding on my chest. The doe was right there! I was so close, but then, the strap of my tree harness caught and stopped my arm. I couldn't pull back any further! Panic took hold and I desperately yanked on my bow string, the slight movement was enough for the doe to see. She bolted out of sight.
 Ok I think we all know now that the lesson learned is to always clear your tree stand strap away from your arm that is pulling the bow back. I know this will never happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment